Getting Started with the UWP Community Toolkit
The toolkit is available as NuGet packages that can be added to any existing or new project using Visual Studio.
1) Download Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 with Windows developer tools and the Windows 10 SDK. Important: Ensure you choose the custom install option and select the Universal Windows App Development Tools.
2) Open an existing project, or create a new project using the Blank App template under Visual C# -> Windows -> Universal. Important: Build 10586 or higher is supported by current version of the Toolkit.
3) In Solution Explorer panel, right click on your project name and select Manage NuGet Packages. Search for Microsoft.Toolkit.UWP, and choose your desired NuGet Packages from the list.
4) Add a reference to the toolkit in your XAML pages or C#
a. In your XAML page, add a reference at the top of your page
- b. In your C# page, add the namespaces to the toolkit
- 5) You can copy and paste code snippets for each feature from the UWP Community Toolkit Sample App.
Adding the UI controls to the Visual Studio Toolbox explains deeper integration with Visual Studio.
Download the UWP Community Toolkit Sample App from the Windows store to see the controls in an actual app.
We recommend developers new to UWP visit the Getting Started with UWP Development pages on the Developer portal.
Visit the UWP Community Toolkit Github Repository to see the current source code, what is coming next, and to clone the repository. Community contributions are welcome!